Universal basic income: Bruce Sterling imagines the rest of the 21st century
On BruceSterling imagining the #future & #BasicIncome at #SXSW…not for the faint of heart.
How might universal basic income play out, if we choose to adopt it as a way to restructure our economy and society? Cyberpunk writer, journalist, and killer speech-giver Bruce Sterling dove into some possibilities at the close of this year’s South By Southwest.
The speech begins with a gloomy rumination on the conference, so you can skip ahead to around 25:00 or 26:00 for the possible UBI futures. And no, there’s no transcript available yet:
Sterling turns to human history to find ways of structuring a society that pays people not to work. Helpfully he plays them out against the left-right political spectrum. They include:
- a universal academy, where people devote themselves to learning.
- militarization: people serve and receive basic support, which pleases the right wing.
- refugee status, where authorities supply clothing, food, shelter (“universal basic everything”).
- a religious settlement, like living as monks or under sharia
- expanded retirement. “Everyone retires…
View original post 137 more words