National Adjunct Day of Action Events in San Diego Area
“think global, act local” holds true for academic labor and adjunct activism. The casualization of academic labor is global. That’s why the spirit of National Adjunct Walkout Day started national but went global. In the post, Geoff Johnson writes about local action in San Diego CA. What your corner of the adjunctiverse?
Here are some #nawd2 links to keep the post company: we’ll be adding to them through the week, http://www.one-tab.com/page/Zz1ooRFjS5eHMjSW6dTxzg
I can’t speak for what others are doing on this day, but this is what we’re organizing locally.
At San Diego Mesa College we’ll be doing a pre-event lecture on the “History of Adjunctification,” which will be in Room H-117-8 from 2:30-4:00 PM, Tuesday, February 23rd.
On Wednesday, February 24th we (AFT1931) will hold a rally in from of the LRC from 10:00-11:00 AM.
In particular we will speak to:
- The need to extend the Progressive tax provision for Proposition 30
- The passage of AB 1690, an adjunct job security identical to last year’s AB1010
- Increasing next year’s proposed COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) beyond the proposed .47%
- The passage of a local minimum-wage ordinance in San Diego which would raise the minimum wage to $11.50/hr.
- Amending AB 340 to include reporting on the effects of adjunctification on the campus learning environment
We will be circulating petitions calling for…
View original post 378 more words